The Big Five, Part II: Conscientiousness

Conscientiousness is a tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement.

Put another way, conscientiousness is the trait of being painstaking and careful, or the quality of acting according to the dictates of one's conscience.

Meh.

For me, this is moderately high.  There is a distinct influence on my conscientiousness around others: I am on very good behavior when I'm being watched.  On my own (or with immediate family), far less so.  For example, I don't clean the house as much as I should, but I try.  I eat more than I should, but not to the point where I'm too overweight (I'm 5'11" and weigh 185--I should weigh 154-166). I don't drink, do drugs, or have many other addictions.  I spend a healthy amount of money on myself.  I have focused on my career, and am doing quite well.

For the most part, I listen to my conscience.

Still, this is not one of the first things that comes to mind when I describe myself.  I'd say I'm roughly average.

No comments: