In-class Drawings

Boo!

It's my first self-portrait ever, and my third contour drawing... so please be kind: the point was not to lift your pen off the paper, and to only look at what you were drawing periodically.

Aww, who am I kidding: you can laugh now.

My second one came out much better, I'm happy to say, though it's still countour, so that's not saying much. ; ) I had to turn that one in, so I can't post it until it's graded. Same story with the second countour drawing (more glasses).

I finished the self-portraits way early (like, 90 minutes?), so I asked if I could do a third. The teacher told me that was fine, but if I wanted to, I could draw another student. (!)

I happened to be sitting next to the nicest girl in the class, so I asked her with folded hands if she would mind being drawn while she worked. She agreed, and I did it. Three things to note:

  1. I haven't been that nervous in months... you could see my hands shaking, in the lines.
  2. It was strangely sensual. ...Sorry, but it's true! I don't mean to sounds like a perv, but... man... it was quite alluring. She's not particularly attractive (not that she's unattractive... just that she's not my type), so that wasn't it. ...I don't know. Hard to say.
  3. She liked the result, and asked me if she could keep it. I let her have it. Thus, you'll never see it. ...It was worth the experience, though, so I don't mind!
Here's my first contour drawing ever:




I can't tell you how badly I wanted to throw this thing in the trash and storm out of the room. ...But I learned from it, and I promised to post what I draw, so here's that piece of trash. ; )






Before we were doing countours, we worked on "Negative Space", which is boring, but came out reasonably well, in terms of doing the assignment (drawing a bunch of sticks leaning against the wall)... this is also the first time I have ever touched ink (using a sumi brush and a fine sable brush for the details):

No comments: