Signature Strengths

I re-took the Authentic Happiness test (link in the previous post) this morning. Here are my results:
  1. Appreciation of beauty
  2. Forgiveness and mercy
  3. Love of learning
  4. Curiosity
  5. Fairness and equality
  6. Creativity
  7. Caution
...the rest I don't think of as "signature", so I'll omit. But it's interesting to see my lowest scoring traits:
  1. Industry
  2. Kindness
  3. Social Ability
  4. Ability to love and be loved
  5. Modesty
  6. Honesty
...I take some exception to "Kindness" being one of my worst, and I blame the test, which (I think) used such questions as "I always call people when they are sick", to which I had to answer "No". (I never do.) ...For the record, I think I'm a very nice person! ...I just don't go out of my way for friends the way I (perhaps) should. : D

The other weaknesses are pretty much true. "Honesty" is on there mostly because, as I have stated elsewhere, I think people have the right to lie in certain circumstances...

While I was there, I noticed that they keep all your old scores. I checked back to the first time I took the test, in 2004. "Judgment, critical thinking, and open-mindedness" used to be my #5. Now it's my #10.

Interesting, that! I definitely agree with the test, there: open-mindedness used to be a guiding principle for me. ... now I'm fairly quick to judge (even if I never oppose anything; just filter it out). I'm still a skeptic, but I tend to think of it more as a hobby or a secondary character trait, not as a "signature" trait.

No comments: