Smoker Rant

I don't like getting into quibbles on the internet. ...Yet somehow, I found myself replying to a post by a friend of a friend: he was complaining about the strong anti-smoker's movement. I felt compelled to point out that he's whining only for the sake of whining: part of being a smoker is being shunned by others, that's part of the "appeal".

I shouldn't have said anything. He's playing his role, and anti-smokers are playing theirs. It's all integrated and expected behavior.

For the record:

  1. I am a non-smoker.
  2. My entire family has smoked at some point or another.
  3. I do not give smokers nasty looks, with one exception (5, below).
  4. I do not complain when smokers smoke around me.
  5. The exception is smokers who do not dispose of their butts. The world is not your fucking ashtray. If you throw your cigarette on the ground while I'm around, I will give you shit for it. It makes me see red.
  6. I do not believe smoking should be banned. People have the right, BUT...
  7. I do appreciate no-smoking areas. A lot.

No comments: