Psychotherapy

How do you feel about psychology?

Much of my family and many of my friends have studied and/or worked in the field... but I've never been a big fan. Mind you, I'm not all Scientology about "psychology kills", but, to my mind, therapy is too focused on "what's good for me" versus what's best for everyone. And, of course "what's best" is something that varies in definition from person to person, so your therapist had better approach your world views.

I think, if I were to decide therapy would do me some good (I haven't), then I would have to ask the therapist a few questions, to be sure she believed roughly the same things I believe. Here's a first draft of such questions.

  1. What do you think a ghost is?
  2. Please complete the following sentence: "In the end, you have to do what's..."
  3. Please respond freely to the following koan: "If you cannot find truth exactly where you are, where else do you expect to find it?"
  4. What's the meaning of life?
...I think those questions would give me a clear enough picture of the therapist's beliefs, as they might affect my ability to take her advice seriously.

Would you have questions?

No comments: