Electoral Battle-scars

I haven't been paying much attention to this presidential race.

I didn't vote in the primaries. I didn't watch the news around it, and still don't: I get enough from friends talking about it. I didn't watch the debates. I don't even really know who the Green candidate is (I believe it's a woman--I think she's black--and that she's supposedly pretty cool): I just haven't bothered looking.

I'm not entirely sure I want to.

I'm sorry, but I still have scars from four years ago.  I was devastated after the election. Out-and-out depressed. Came close to tears. Walked around in a funk for weeks.  I hadn't had an emotional blow that strong since 9/11. I just couldn't understand how anyone with a good conscience would support a regime like Bush's. I didn't think those results were possible in our "open society". It created, in my mind, an "us" and a "them", right here in my own country. It was frustrating enough that people were willing to ignore what was going on: many people actively supported it. So, part of me doesn't even want to look, doesn't want to get emotionally invested again. I felt betrayed by my countrymen.

Another part of me realizes that my vote is a foregone conclusion.  I'm not voting Obama, I'm voting Democrat.  I don't care who's on the local ticket, I'm voting Green there (where possible). The person is not as important to me as the political repercussions that come with the party the person is attached to. ...So why bother watching?

And another part of me, as I've addressed in previous posts, is disenchanted with American politics in its entirety.

Yes, I'll vote.  It won't mean much, but I would be loathe not to.  You've got petitions to sign?  Count on my name being on it, if the issue makes sense.

But I'm afraid that's about all the energy I have to give the election this year.

No comments: