Why Voting Sucks It

Caveats: I am not a politician. I am not a lawyer (I ANAL). I'm not a mathematician, statistician, or economist. Hell, my IQ is only around 125, far below all of the readers of this blog. Despite these shortcomings, I am opinionated. And one thing I dislike is the American voting system.

  • I have yet to hear a compelling argument for the need for an electoral college (or their primary-parallel, delegations).
  • The one-candidate-per-party concept is also absurd.
  • Money seems to have a profound influence on the results. That must be addressed.
  • Reporting seems to have a profound impact on the results. They need to shut the fuck up on election day. Exit polls should be waterboarded.
  • Even the long-lasting adage "one person, one vote" makes little sense to me: we should be able to vote for--or, better, rank--multiple candidates. (A co-worker just extended this idea by suggesting that if a candidate on such a system doesn't have more than 50% of the population saying "yup, I'm cool with it", elections are re-started. Sounds cool to me.)
Feel free to unignorantate me. But in the meantime, I will continue to be an election curmudgeon.

1 comment:

rbbergstrom said...

The one-candidate-per-party concept is also absurd.

As is the two-parties-per-nation concept.

Guess which one I'd be more interested in seeing change. :)